Sometimes we need to store our cars for a long time. There can be different reasons behind it — going on a business trip or family vacation, wanting to keep it warm during the winter season, or maybe planning to just use your other car for a while. Regardless, if you are going to store your car for several months or so, there are some things you must do first.
Here are some useful tips to help you properly store your car if you are planning to not use it for a long time:
Tips for Long-Term Car Storage
- Find a clean, dry storage location. A climate-controlled storage facility is your best option as damp air may cause rusting.
- Fill the tank. This will prevent the tank from rusting inside.
- Put tire jacks under the tires to release pressure on your tires.
- Disconnect the battery. If your car battery is sitting unused for a long period of time, corrosion may appear.
- Make sure your car is clean before putting it in long-term storage. This is an effective way to prevent corrosion. Plus, if there are food crumbs or other dirt left inside your car, they might attract pests.
- Disconnect the battery to prevent corrosions and battery failure.
- Use a high-quality car cover to keep your car clean while it is not in use. This will prevent dirt and moisture from getting into your car.
- Lubricate all exposed metal surfaces of your car, such as the hood, doors, and trunk.
- Inform your insurer that you will be storing your car for a certain period of time. This helps you to guarantee that your car remains insured in case something happens while you are not using it.
- Lastly, go to the mechanic and make sure that it is in good condition before leaving it. Damages that are not repaired may result in worse or permanent damages.
Properly preparing your car for long-term storage will not just prevent any damage from occurring, but it also ensures that it can still give you great performance when you decide to use it again. By ensuring that the above tips are smoothly implemented before you keep your car under the sheet for a while, you will not need to worry about your car as you can expect it to be as good as you left it when you come back.