How to Repair a Rear Window Crack/Chip
October 23, 2023
There’s nothing quite as frustrating as discovering a crack or chip in your rear car window. Whether it’s the result of a rogue pebble on the highway or an unfortunate accident, addressing this issue promptly is crucial for your safety and the longevity of your vehicle. In this blog by Nuvision Autoglass, we’ll walk you through the process of repairing a rear window crack or chip, ensuring that you can restore your window to its original state and get back on the road with confidence.
Assess the Damage
The first step in repairing a rear window crack or chip is to assess the damage. Determine the size, location, and depth of the crack or chip. This assessment will help you decide whether you can perform the repair yourself or if it requires professional assistance. Here are some key points to consider:
Size: Small cracks or chips less than an inch in diameter are typically easier to repair on your own. Larger cracks may require professional intervention.
Location: The location of the damage is essential. If the crack or chip is within the driver’s line of sight, it’s crucial to address it promptly and correctly.
Depth: Superficial cracks or chips that haven’t penetrated both layers of the window glass are more manageable for DIY repair.
Gather Your Tools and Materials
Here are the necessary tools and materials you will need:
- A windshield repair kit, which can be found at most automotive stores or online.
- A clean cloth for wiping the windshield and applying pressure.
- A pair of gloves to protect your hands during the repair.
- Clear tape to create a barrier around the damaged area.
- A razor blade for removing excess resin.
- A syringe or applicator for injecting the repair resin.
- A curing strip or UV light for hardening the resin (if your kit includes UV-curing resin).
Prepare the Work Area
To ensure a successful repair, it’s essential to prepare the work area:
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit, dry, and shaded area. This will make the repair process more manageable and improve the curing of the resin.
- Ensure that your rear window is clean and free from any dirt, dust, or debris. You can use a glass cleaner or rubbing alcohol to achieve this.
- Create a Barrier
- Use clear tape to create a barrier around the damaged area. This helps contain the resin and prevents it from spreading outside the target area. It also helps in keeping the resin application neat.
Apply the Repair Resin
Follow the instructions in your windshield repair kit to apply the repair resin:
- Center the applicator or syringe over the crack or chip.
- Apply steady pressure to the applicator, which will inject the resin into the damaged area.
- Fill the crack or chip entirely with the resin, making sure there are no air bubbles left behind.
- If your kit includes a curing strip, place it over the resin. Alternatively, you may need to use a UV light to cure the resin, as per the kit’s instructions.
Allow for Curing
The curing time can vary depending on the type of resin you’re using. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure proper curing. This step is crucial as it hardens the resin, making it strong and durable.
Scrape Off Excess Resin
After the resin has cured, use a razor blade to carefully scrape off any excess resin. Be gentle to avoid causing further damage to the glass. Wipe the area clean with a cloth.
Test the Repair
Once the excess resin has been removed, assess the quality of the repair. The crack or chip should be less visible, and the structural integrity of the window should be restored. If you’re satisfied with the result, your DIY repair is complete.
Consider Professional Assistance
If the damage is extensive, located in a critical area of visibility, or you’re not confident in your repair skills, it’s advisable to seek professional help. A trained technician can assess the damage and determine whether the window can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced.
Repairing a rear window crack or chip can be a cost-effective and practical solution, but it’s essential to approach the process with care and precision. Remember that when in doubt, seeking professional assistance is always a viable option to ensure a safe and effective repair.
Schedule your service now to know why we are #1
Drive safely by experiencing premium quality auto glass and get up to $375 in cash back & FREE Dinner Buffet at Rodizio Grill. *only for Arizona customers